Saturday, February 13, 2010

8ish Miles

Well I got 8 miles in yesterday. However, it wasn't without stopping. If I'm taking a glass is "half full" perspective, the last time a scheduled run turned into a "speed workout" it was because I wasn't "feeling it" on a 3 mile run. So my endurance is coming back!


I did 6.5 miles at a 10:20/mi pace. I felt good, but I guess maybe I was a little tired from my 4 miler the day before? Or I was just being LAZY. And I had to pee. After I took a bathroom break I decided there was no way I was leaving the gym only running 6.5 miles. That just wasn't enough.

So I ran another mile in 9:45.
Then I walked .1 of a mile.
Then I ran .25 of a mile in 2:11.
Walked .1
Ran .25 in 1:57.

Speed work is still something really new for me, but I'm hoping it helps. It's a good feeling knowing I was hitting those times AFTER a 6.5 mile run. I'll feel better once I complete another true long run.

Today I ran one. I was SORE. Sometimes I think it helps to get a little movement in for recovery versus no running at all. So that's what I did.

Oh, and since there were some questions about the weather in DC last week.... check this out! Hahaha. I don't know this guy, but this is so awesome!

2 comments:

The Boring Runner said...

You know, you'd be really surprised how little those walk breaks affect your overall average time. They key is to track them and either make them further apart or have them be less in duration.

Either way, that long on a treadmill is AMAZING

inspiREDtorun13 said...

@Adam Yeah I NEVER do the walk breaks when I do long runs on the treadmill. For some reason I couldn't find the motivation and just decided to make myself get the mileage in. That's interesting about the effect on overall time though.