Sunday, January 31, 2010

Running iTunes: Power Songs

There is so much I want to say about my iTunes that I can’t fit it all into one post! If you want to check out what I listened to when I was a half marathon virgin…click here.
I’m really not sure how I came up with that playlist other than that I liked those songs. Believe it or not I listened to that playlist on EVERY long run I went on. No shuffle. In a way it was pretty cool because I knew how far into my run I was based on what was playing. To this day listening to that playlist gives me a feeling of accomplishment.

Recently, WannabeRunner made a post asking her readers for some power songs that get them through a tough workout. I had another friend on Facebook ask for some running songs prior to her half marathon. As I’ve been working at getting this blog up and going again, I’ve been meaning to make a few posts about iTunes because my little Product (RED) Nano was kind of the inspiration for the name of this blog. Oh and that I have red hair.


No joke. My parents really were that creative/oblivious when they named me.

Last night I discovered through Playlist.com I could actually post the playlist on my blog. So Brilliant. Here are the songs I like for an extra burst of energy…explanation to follow. You may notice that a lot of these songs aren’t the current chart toppers. The reason why is right now I really like Do You Remember?, Bad Romance, and Whatcha Say.…. To put it in perspective…last year I really liked Single Ladies, Womanizer, and Just Dance. They just didn’t make the cut now that they are past their prime.





WHY I Like These Songs:

If You're Going Through Hell-- My all-time favorite Power Song! It's about not quitting and has a good cadence. If I really thought running was Hell I probably wouldn't do it so much, but long runs are tough. Rodney even keeps telling you over and over to not slow down:

"If your going through hell
Keep on going, don't slow down
If you're scared don't show it
You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there"

This song really isn't the same when listened to in a car. And I realize its country. If you can get past that, it's very good to run to!

Stronger-- Yeah Kanye was an ass to Taylor Swift at the VMA's. He has this song though so I really couldn't hate him. Again I think it's the words that work so well for running.
"Work it, make it, do it, Makes us harder, better, faster, stronger!...N- n- now th- that don't kill me Can only make me stronger I need you to hurry up now 'cause I can't wait much longer."

Born to Run/Glory Days--
Born to Run would have to be the most cliche race song of all time. Of all time. Still, I like it, I just like Glory Days more. It's very rare for The Boss not to join me in some way on a long run.

Party in the USA--
So, my theory is that when Miley says "This is all so crazy" she's actually talking about running. Very, very girly. But, she's gotten me through more long runs that I can count!

Sweet Caroline--
So good. So good. So good! It starts out a little slow...but if you can make it to the "Bah Bah Bah's" they are fun and a good distraction from all else. I don't think there is another song quite like Sweet Caroline and for that reason I think it's a good change up from the rest of your playlist on a long run.

Hot 'N Cold, Girlfriend, Picture to Burn, According to You, Since U Been Gone-- Basically just a bunch of female singers getting pissed off. The undertone of "anger" seems to help me push myself. No, I don't drive around with Girlfriend blaring in my car. Yes, Since U Been Gone is an extremely old song. They all work very well to run to though...especially if you are a girl ;)

Ride Wit Me-- Old Schooooool. I googled the lyrics to see if anything even sort of applies to running. Nope. I just love it. It's pretty upbeat to run to.

Rocky "Gonna Fly Now"-- Some of my co-workers made fun of me for running to this song. All I can say is, how wrong it would be to stop to walk while this is playing.

Good Morning--(Haters). I'm still waiting for this song to get more radio airtime. IMO, it's even better than Ridin' Dirty. The lyrics as a whole are good if you're ever upset about anything.

Living on a Prayer-- I've been known to start a halfway point sing-a-long in races with this gem from Bon Jovi. This is THE song to listen to when you are halfway done. Good luck finding anything that is more applicable.

Forever-- Two words: Office Wedding. I liked it when it first came out. Comfort & Twitch's Dance on So You Think You Can Dance made it better. Then the YouTube Wedding Entrance made my day over the Summer. I wasn't expecting something like that to be topped...oh but The Office found a way. The original airdate of The Office Wedding was also my birthday. So it's kind of sentimental for me.

The Middle--I remember having a major jam session to this song with my friend Melissa (who I'm running the Monument Ave 10k with) in high school. We had recently gotten our driver's liscenses and felt "so cool" with this song blaring. We both still love it though!

Here It Goes Again--OK Go is on treadmills. Enough said.

All the Small Things--I like running to Blink182 a lot. This is one of their more mainstream songs that everyone pretty much likes.

I'm On a Boat--Oh Shit, Get Your Towels Ready, It's About to Go Down! This song is hilarious. It's not very long, but I know every word so it's a power song for me. More fun in the summer though [sigh].

You're Gonna Go Far Kid--If you ever met me, this is probably one of the least likely songs you would ever expect me to run to. It has enough f-bombs that you can get your quota for the week, day, or hour... depending on how much you like sailing. I could never listen to stuff like this for an entire run. But it's a very good power song when mixed in with the others.

Low/Live Your Life-- I heard both of these played on the course of my first half marathon so they hold a special place in my heart. They weren't especially current on race day and everyone seemed to enjoy them. Live Your Life has a good overall message from T.I.
Specifically:
Your values is in disarray, prioritizing horribly
Unhappy with your riches cause you're piss poor morally
Ignoring all prior advice and forewarning
And we mighty full of ourselves all of a sudden aren't we?
Maybe not the most eloquent way of putting it. But, I get what he's saying. Money can lead to corruption. I'd love to do a fist pound+explosion with him.

I Get Knocked Down--This is a "Jock Jam" isn't it? I actually almost forgot about this one from Chumbawumba until it shuffled onto my iPod's playlist the other day. I very clearly remember how cool this song was when I was in 6TH GRADE. A lot that they say is really applicable to running. Just look past the fact that they are singing about getting wasted ;)

Another good way to find songs is to look at the top downloads on iTunes. If you've already discovered this, hopefully I gave you at least one more song to consider running to! Please feel free to comment about songs you really like for an "extra burst of energy!"

3 comments:

NewbieRunner said...

Thanks for the playlist! I've been wanting new "workout" songs!

The Boring Runner said...

wow, you have some really good ones on here. Party in the USA, I'm On a Boat, and Stronger are all on my 10k playlist right now. Nice!

inspiREDtorun13 said...

@Adam...At first I thought you were kidding about "Party in the USA"...but I know you aren't b/c the second one you mentioned was "I'm On a Boat."

Miley's stuff is good. I really wish there was an extended version of "I'm On a Boat." One listen usually isn't enough for me and I repeat it.