Monday, December 8, 2008

Running is All That I Have

So today (as I mentioned earlier) I got up at 5:20 A.M. to run 5 miles. I got to the office around 8:20 A.M. I just got home and it is 11:35 P.M.

I was at work longer than 12 hours. I have soo much to do and this schedule of long hours will repeat all week.

This is the exact scenario that would cause many people to say "I don't have time to work out." That's what I would have said 6 months ago. And really you don't. Sleep is important. Funny thing is... I'm not getting enough sleep anyway. The fact that I ran 5 miles this morning not only gave me a better perspective on it all, it was the highlight of my day. I fully intend to continue working out this week.. even though I will have limited sleep.

My dad always says "You aren't meant to not work out." Everyone that you work with needs to let you get your workout in. You will be so much happier and productive. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean coming in at 9 A.M. or working normal hours. It means losing even more sleep to do what makes me happy.

I'm still scared about the idea of running 13.1 miles, but I'm more excited to get into good enough shape to be able to do it. I honestly doubt that I will start to hate running. It's my outlet. I'm not very fast, but I truely believe I will be one of those people that thinks Half Marathons are fun.

I already grew to love running... a bit of that love went away when I had to stop because my knee was bothering me senior year of college. I think I forgot how much I loved it and how great it felt... after I got away from it.

I almost don't know how I would be handling my life right now if I weren't trying to train for a half marathon. It is one of the best decisions I have ever made. All the runs during the week are relatively short. One long run a week is doable. Now I'm off to sleep so I can get up and run 3.5 miles super early before going into the office!

No comments: