Friday, November 14, 2008

WWHD...What Would Hal Do?

According to Hal Higdon the greatest distance I will be running until week 5 of the training plan is 5 miles.

After I get to Week 5 Hal should be giving me more of a challenge. But, I have 7 weeks before I even have to try to run 7 miles. The first half of this plan doesn't sound too bad. I really question how I will magically be able to run 8,9, and 10 miles. Just because Hal says I will on this piece of paper doesn't mean that it will be easy. I want to know more about this guy.

I just looked him up on Wikipedia and Facebook. He does look pretty youthful despite his age.


According to Wikipedia:

Hal Higdon is an American writer and runner. He has contributed to Runner's World magazine longer than any other writer. He is the author of 34 books, including the best-selling Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide. He has worked as a freelance writer since 1959, and has written a variety of subjects including a children's book that was made into an animated feature. He ran eight times in the United States Olympic Trials and won four world masters championships. He is one of the founders of the Road Runners Club of America (RRCA).

Okay not bad.

It looks like Hal doesn't have a Facebook account, but there is a 'We Love Hal Higdon' group on Facebook. The highlights include that he has run 111 marathons and was 74 when the group was created.

So he knows his stuff. Hopefully I will be more convinced his plan works as the weeks progress.

I've heard it's so much better to have a training group for half marathons, but whatever. I've never ran with a group and I have friends to keep me accountable.

I'm frustrated with a few aspects of my life that are beyond my control. When frustration happens I tend to find something I can do to prove to myself I really am awesome. Whether that is a good thing or not, I don't really know...but why not a half marathon?

No comments: